Sunday 14 March 2010

Montessori Large Bead Frame/Alabacus hybrid

Today I was using the excellent Montessori Math album from Cultivating Dharma to introduce the Large bead frame lessons. I don't own a Montessori Large Bead frame, so I adapted the Alabacus from RightStart Math. I'd like to make my own large bead frame based on both. Perhaps with the unit beads as 5 dark green, 5 pale green, and the tens beads as 5 dark blue, 5 light blue, etc.,(corresponding to the Montessori colouring, but retaining the pattern of the Alabacus.)
 The bead frame paper was a download also from Cultivating Dharma.
To emphasise the number families (thousands, millions and so on) I adapted a Waldorf based idea on teaching place value from Little Nature Nest, and adapted a math story called "Infinity Street" but changed it to "Infinity Forest".

These are some pictures from previous lessons, before introducing the Bead frame:

No comments: